A teeth cleaning is a professional dental procedure that can help prevent tooth decay by removing plaque and tartar buildup on teeth, especially in areas you can’t reach with your toothbrush at home. The dentist will use special instruments to gently scrape away debris from your teeth as well as polish them for a sparkling shine!
Most dentists recommend scheduling teeth cleanings every six months to help remove built-up bacteria to keep your mouth healthy. If it’s been longer than six months since your last appointment, you may require a deep cleaning if your dentist determines that plaque and tartar have accumulated to the point that they cannot be removed with a simple dental cleaning.
What Happens During a Teeth Cleaning?
First, our dentist will thoroughly examine your teeth for signs of decay or cavities. This is a good time to ask about your daily hygiene routine and what areas of your mouth you’re missing when you brush and floss.
Then, we will use special tools to remove plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth. We will also polish the teeth to remove any stains. You can expect the entire appointment to last between 30 minutes to an hour.
Finally, our dentist will perform a thorough exam to check for any signs of oral cancer and other oral health concerns. Many times, patients with oral cancer may exhibit no symptoms at all. This is why it’s very important to get regular exams.
Afterward, you’ll receive instructions on how to best care for your teeth at home. We recommend using a soft toothbrush for brushing your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. It is also essential to floss at least once per day. If you wear braces or dentures, you may need additional tools to clean properly.
What Are the Benefits of Teeth Cleaning?
Regular professional cleanings performed at a dental office have several benefits, including the following:
- Prevent gum disease and related conditions like periodontitis and gingivitis.
- Reduce the risk of tooth decay and cavities.
- Improve the appearance of your smile by getting rid of stains that make your teeth appear discolored or yellowed.
- Help you feel more confident about your oral health because you will be better able to take care of your own needs at home.
Regular dental visits also:
- Allow you to better understand how to brush and floss properly so you can maintain a healthier smile long after your cleaning is finished.
- Allow the dentist to catch any problems that you may not be able to see on your own, such as minor chips or cracks in teeth.
Contact Western Iowa Dental at 1509 Ave G, Council Bluffs, IA 51501, or call (712) 325-1544 if you are interested in learning more about the benefits of professional teeth cleaning or would like to schedule an appointment.